Wednesday, August 11, 2004
Back for another update for sake of having nothing to do at the moment lol. So not much to say but I'm going to ramble about my day (as usual) :P
Band was ok...We played some random music, some old, some new...but I had to play first part. It wasn't totally horrible, but I'd gladly play 2nd part again this year. Jack (the guy thats supposed to be in Wind Ensamble but cant until 2nd semester b/c of schedule conflicts) is being put on 3rd part because Mr. Rowe wants people to play the parts they'd actually play for competiton, which is 2nd semester anyway. So...basically, if the chairs don't change from last year, I'll be the 2nd chair, which means I'll be on first part (2 to a part plus jack as an extra third)...Chair placement tests are tomorrow, scale tests as always, and until this morning, I hadn't played my clarinet since the end of the last school year. So yeah. I don't sound great on the harder scales...but I decided that's ok and I'm not going to practice...Kyle and/or Taylor is/are more than welcome to beat me. I know I can play better than the other two, so if either Kyle or Taylor or both pass me, I'll still be on 2nd part. Hence the fact that I didn't bring my scales sheet, much less my actual clarinet, home with me today. Basically that'll mean a few minutes of torture (embarassment) as I screw up on the tests, but since they're not graded I don't care too much lol.
English...for some reason, I felt more comfortable with it today than yesterday...It's still going to be tough, but as long as I can get a B in there I'll be ok. We discussed The Sound and the Fury in small groups, and with half the class outside (out of 18 people) it was really quiet...especially when Matt randomly called across the room to tell me that some football players still think he and I are going out o_O Despite not getting with any of my friends for the small group (it's assigned and we'll probably keep them all semester), I'm pretty happy with mine...Trolley and some other guy that I forgot his name, but he's in my physics class too I think...they're nice and I don't feel intimidated when we discuss things because all three of us speak fluent fragmented sentences haha. Oh I have to say this: Mr. Koechling wrote some discussion questions on the board, and one of them was about the "meaning of life in the novel" and someone in first period-I'm wondering if it was Rachel-wrote "42" beside it, which made me giggle. Mr. Koechling didn't tell me who it was though when I asked. I bet he's a fan of the trilogy though, because he knew where it was from...unless 1st period just told him lol.
Lunch...about the same as yesterday. I almost went off campus but ended up not. I acted like such a spazz there yesterday and today though lol...I bet Allison thinks I'm really odd.
In history, we got assigned an in-class mini project. We were divided into four groups and each of the first 3 groups has to teach one of the sections of the chapter. My group, group 4, gets to do a comparison thingie between northern and southern colonies, and make three posters advertising for people in England to come live in three colonies (one per poster). We divided it up so that two people work on each thing, so all I have to do is make a poster with Tess, so it shouldn't be too hard.
Oh and I must randomly mention that both my history and my physics teacher have made chocolate references. History=being bribed with chocolate, Physics=talking about the origin of Melissa's last name being from two different countries and she said it didn't matter which because they both make good chocolate haha.
Physics was easy today...we just went over the pre-test we took yesterday. I was surprised how many people had trouble with the questions...especially the seniors. We took turns going up to the overhead to work out the problems...Usually I don't really like to do that, but today I did...partly because no one would volunteer and it drove me nuts to go so slowly through everything. Oh and I learned a new way to remember sine, cosine, and tangent-It's like SOHCAHTOA except it's a phrase, which both Megan and Ms. Beiles mentioned today: Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Tripping Over Acid. *giggles*
So my only homework was to see if there was anything online to help with my group's English topic, which there wasn't. I looked on like thirty google sites and then gave up lol. For History, I skimmed some reading stuff and printed off some information about colonies Tess and I might use for out poster. Oh and to keep studying for the map quiz for Friday. Mr. Koechling still hasn't explained our prompt for the essay, but I have a feeling that it won't be too hard after he does and I pick a topic. I just need some things clarified first. Hopefully he'll tell us tomorrow and I can get it done over the weekend. We also have instructions for our term paper, which is due in stages, the first of which in October, so I'll have to think about a topic and thesis for that soon too.
Mmmm I like this lack of homework idea...but I know I'll have more in History soon, and English...tons of reading for both of those. I don't know about physics though, but we get our books in there tomorrow so we'll see I guess.
I want Mr. Rowe to go ahead and start talking to people about being extras so he can find enough soon so we can get started practicing!
Aaaaand I'm out of things to say. Much love to all and some extra to Corey <333 ;-) Bye!
Band was ok...We played some random music, some old, some new...but I had to play first part. It wasn't totally horrible, but I'd gladly play 2nd part again this year. Jack (the guy thats supposed to be in Wind Ensamble but cant until 2nd semester b/c of schedule conflicts) is being put on 3rd part because Mr. Rowe wants people to play the parts they'd actually play for competiton, which is 2nd semester anyway. So...basically, if the chairs don't change from last year, I'll be the 2nd chair, which means I'll be on first part (2 to a part plus jack as an extra third)...Chair placement tests are tomorrow, scale tests as always, and until this morning, I hadn't played my clarinet since the end of the last school year. So yeah. I don't sound great on the harder scales...but I decided that's ok and I'm not going to practice...Kyle and/or Taylor is/are more than welcome to beat me. I know I can play better than the other two, so if either Kyle or Taylor or both pass me, I'll still be on 2nd part. Hence the fact that I didn't bring my scales sheet, much less my actual clarinet, home with me today. Basically that'll mean a few minutes of torture (embarassment) as I screw up on the tests, but since they're not graded I don't care too much lol.
English...for some reason, I felt more comfortable with it today than yesterday...It's still going to be tough, but as long as I can get a B in there I'll be ok. We discussed The Sound and the Fury in small groups, and with half the class outside (out of 18 people) it was really quiet...especially when Matt randomly called across the room to tell me that some football players still think he and I are going out o_O Despite not getting with any of my friends for the small group (it's assigned and we'll probably keep them all semester), I'm pretty happy with mine...Trolley and some other guy that I forgot his name, but he's in my physics class too I think...they're nice and I don't feel intimidated when we discuss things because all three of us speak fluent fragmented sentences haha. Oh I have to say this: Mr. Koechling wrote some discussion questions on the board, and one of them was about the "meaning of life in the novel" and someone in first period-I'm wondering if it was Rachel-wrote "42" beside it, which made me giggle. Mr. Koechling didn't tell me who it was though when I asked. I bet he's a fan of the trilogy though, because he knew where it was from...unless 1st period just told him lol.
Lunch...about the same as yesterday. I almost went off campus but ended up not. I acted like such a spazz there yesterday and today though lol...I bet Allison thinks I'm really odd.
In history, we got assigned an in-class mini project. We were divided into four groups and each of the first 3 groups has to teach one of the sections of the chapter. My group, group 4, gets to do a comparison thingie between northern and southern colonies, and make three posters advertising for people in England to come live in three colonies (one per poster). We divided it up so that two people work on each thing, so all I have to do is make a poster with Tess, so it shouldn't be too hard.
Oh and I must randomly mention that both my history and my physics teacher have made chocolate references. History=being bribed with chocolate, Physics=talking about the origin of Melissa's last name being from two different countries and she said it didn't matter which because they both make good chocolate haha.
Physics was easy today...we just went over the pre-test we took yesterday. I was surprised how many people had trouble with the questions...especially the seniors. We took turns going up to the overhead to work out the problems...Usually I don't really like to do that, but today I did...partly because no one would volunteer and it drove me nuts to go so slowly through everything. Oh and I learned a new way to remember sine, cosine, and tangent-It's like SOHCAHTOA except it's a phrase, which both Megan and Ms. Beiles mentioned today: Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Tripping Over Acid. *giggles*
So my only homework was to see if there was anything online to help with my group's English topic, which there wasn't. I looked on like thirty google sites and then gave up lol. For History, I skimmed some reading stuff and printed off some information about colonies Tess and I might use for out poster. Oh and to keep studying for the map quiz for Friday. Mr. Koechling still hasn't explained our prompt for the essay, but I have a feeling that it won't be too hard after he does and I pick a topic. I just need some things clarified first. Hopefully he'll tell us tomorrow and I can get it done over the weekend. We also have instructions for our term paper, which is due in stages, the first of which in October, so I'll have to think about a topic and thesis for that soon too.
Mmmm I like this lack of homework idea...but I know I'll have more in History soon, and English...tons of reading for both of those. I don't know about physics though, but we get our books in there tomorrow so we'll see I guess.
I want Mr. Rowe to go ahead and start talking to people about being extras so he can find enough soon so we can get started practicing!
Aaaaand I'm out of things to say. Much love to all and some extra to Corey <333 ;-) Bye!