Wednesday, September 08, 2004
Weeeeee I feel like updating!
I guess I'll start with school stuff:
-Band: ick. three tests-one tomorrow, one friday, and one monday. And I suck at the songs. I spent part of physics class color coding and writing in note names so I can at least stumble my way along, but the way Mr. Rowe grades a lot of the time is like...you get a 100, a 92, or a 70. Rarely anything between. And unless you're really good, you'll get the 70. Usually it doesn't really matter, but since we don't have a concert this semester, tests count 50% of our grade (class participation is the other half). I do fine on the scales tests usually, though I know I'll mess up the next round of them because I screw up the third octave of the concert F scale grr oh well silly high notes. Oh but i get to be the photographer for marching band! I get an oversized fake camera with a strobe light in it hehehe.
-English: We got our Cold Mountain papers and timed writings back^^ I'm fairly happy about them...at least grade-wise...but the Cold Mountain paper sortof agrivates me because I didn't get counted off for ANY grammar of spelling or sytax or tense shifiting errors...but he took off 7 points because my conclusion was too short. Bah. I asked Mr. K at the begining of the year if it was possible to get a 100 on his papers, because in creative writing, the highest grade you could get was a 99. He didn't realize what I was asking, so his reply was something like "I've never given a 100 on a paper...going for the record?" like a challenge...and somehow I'd just really like to do that. I doubt I will, but oh well. It'd be cool.
-History: ugh so boring. We had a random debate today about how it was possible to have ice on the forth of july in D.C. in the mid 1800s because there was no electricity and therefore there were no freezers...I tried to explain about ice houses, where they stored ice underground to keep it frozen...but that somehow confused people who thought I meant they just burried the ice...like a little dirt on top to keep it frozen *rolls eyes* It kept us off topic for a long time. Oh and the history homework I did over the weekend to get ahead? We did a quick worksheet on that section instead, so we didn't have to take notes *falls over* Two out of two times that that's happened.
-Physics: Still rules. I want to kill Thomas though but oh well. I'd have the help of most of the class anyway haha. We did a lab yesterday with marbles...and by the time my group got a marble, there were only two left...so Ms. Bailes asked if we wanted the clear marble or the silver physics ball. I went for the silver physics ball b/c I like silver lol...but she started going on about how the clear one was so pretty...and how you can hold it up to your eye and look through it...and I pointed out that you can look through the silver physics ball too, because there's a hole all the way through it lol, but then she made me look through the clear one in the light and see how it works like a crystal *giggles* As Anna put it, she definitly knows her inner child! Today, a girl from one of her other classes brought her a cookie during my class, I'm guessing from culinary arts or something...and she showed off her cookie to us hahaha and said something to the effect of "I have a cookie and you don't! but that's ok, because when you're old, you can have a cookie too." She's insane and I love it. So much fun. Oh one other sortof related thing: It rained while I was in physics today. Like, poured. I heard it start and tried to get Melissa's attention, but she was half gazing into space, half doodling lol...I'll stop to make the note here that marching band people love it when it rains because it means they get an indoor practice that day. Ms. Bailes even said something about the rain and Melissa didn't notice. Finally, I looked over at her, still drawing, and all of the sudden, she stopped and I could tell from across the room that she tensed. A grin spread over her face, she looked outside, turned to me and mouthed "ITS RAINING!" hahahahaha it was like watching really bad acting except she wasn't acting so it was absolutely hillarious.
Other stuff...hrm. First dance class of the year was last night...err...well it's going to be an interesting year. I miss our old teacher, even if three of the other girls in the class didn't like her. They made too big of a deal over little things, like when she had us change the position of our arms in one move or something. Anyway...she's gone now, so those three came to class after all, plus one new girl, Megan, and me. The teacher is knew and seems very nice...however...it's a hiphop class. Carrie tried to teach us some hip hop but basically-no racism intended at all whatsoever especially since this is an insult to whites and a compliment to blacks lol-she decided we were 'too white' to be able to look good doing the moves. We just don't do the whole stick your butt and boobs out thing often enough to be comfortable with it lol. Well anyway, our new teacher ONLY teaches hip hop, not a jazz-hip hop combo like Carrie sometimes did. So...we're having some trouble. Well, except for the new girl, who took a hip hop class last year and seems really good...which is intimidating because she's at least a few years younger than the rest of us-I think all the rest are juniors and she might even still be in middle school. Not complaining though; it's always great to have someone be good so we have an example to follow lol. Sarah's probably the next best. But the rest of us are struggling, and it was only the first class lol. She made us dance individually with hopes that we'd try to put more effort into the dance...which made me nervous but at least she danced with us or else I'm sure I would've had no idea what the moves were lol. Anyways, I'm going to try it for a while though...I really want my 10 year award, and I'll get it if I stay through the end of this year. I won't dance next year because of marching band.
I finally know what's wrong with my knee! Honestly, some people don't give chiropractors nearly enough credit for all the knowledge they have. I went today after physical therapy because my back's been bothering me a lot lately, and I asked him about my knee while I was there....and he poked around a bit and moved my leg and then proded a few points and asked if they hurt...and they did. A LOT lol. I hadn't even noticed they were sore, because they were mostly on my leg, not the knee. He held my kneecap in an odd position and had me try to contract my muscle and some other things...and then knew what it was. It's kinda hard to explain, but basically a repetitive bending motion (ex: the way my knee bent going up and down stairs, which is what I was doing at the beach right before it started hurting and swelling so that's most likely it) caused what he called "the elastic band" that holds onto the kneecap to pull the kneecap off from it's usual position...so the "elastic band" thingie that runs up my leg is what's really sore, and where it connects to my kneecap is causing the area beneath my kneecap to swell, which makes it pop all the time and hurt and shake. So basically, every time I walked around or danced or did physical therapy stuff, it would cause it to swell. So he popped the kneecap back into position and told me to keep pressing the elastic band thingie because that'll help it heal even though it hurts, and to keep icing it often because it's going to swell for a while. If it's not better by next week, I get to go back and have him see if it slipped out of position again. I'm just happy I know what's wrong lol even if it does seem like it hurts worse now because it's so swollen from him changing the position.
I've been daydreaming so much lately its insane! Fun though hehe... ;-)
I think that's about it...gnight! Look I posted at 9:42!
I guess I'll start with school stuff:
-Band: ick. three tests-one tomorrow, one friday, and one monday. And I suck at the songs. I spent part of physics class color coding and writing in note names so I can at least stumble my way along, but the way Mr. Rowe grades a lot of the time is like...you get a 100, a 92, or a 70. Rarely anything between. And unless you're really good, you'll get the 70. Usually it doesn't really matter, but since we don't have a concert this semester, tests count 50% of our grade (class participation is the other half). I do fine on the scales tests usually, though I know I'll mess up the next round of them because I screw up the third octave of the concert F scale grr oh well silly high notes. Oh but i get to be the photographer for marching band! I get an oversized fake camera with a strobe light in it hehehe.
-English: We got our Cold Mountain papers and timed writings back^^ I'm fairly happy about them...at least grade-wise...but the Cold Mountain paper sortof agrivates me because I didn't get counted off for ANY grammar of spelling or sytax or tense shifiting errors...but he took off 7 points because my conclusion was too short. Bah. I asked Mr. K at the begining of the year if it was possible to get a 100 on his papers, because in creative writing, the highest grade you could get was a 99. He didn't realize what I was asking, so his reply was something like "I've never given a 100 on a paper...going for the record?" like a challenge...and somehow I'd just really like to do that. I doubt I will, but oh well. It'd be cool.
-History: ugh so boring. We had a random debate today about how it was possible to have ice on the forth of july in D.C. in the mid 1800s because there was no electricity and therefore there were no freezers...I tried to explain about ice houses, where they stored ice underground to keep it frozen...but that somehow confused people who thought I meant they just burried the ice...like a little dirt on top to keep it frozen *rolls eyes* It kept us off topic for a long time. Oh and the history homework I did over the weekend to get ahead? We did a quick worksheet on that section instead, so we didn't have to take notes *falls over* Two out of two times that that's happened.
-Physics: Still rules. I want to kill Thomas though but oh well. I'd have the help of most of the class anyway haha. We did a lab yesterday with marbles...and by the time my group got a marble, there were only two left...so Ms. Bailes asked if we wanted the clear marble or the silver physics ball. I went for the silver physics ball b/c I like silver lol...but she started going on about how the clear one was so pretty...and how you can hold it up to your eye and look through it...and I pointed out that you can look through the silver physics ball too, because there's a hole all the way through it lol, but then she made me look through the clear one in the light and see how it works like a crystal *giggles* As Anna put it, she definitly knows her inner child! Today, a girl from one of her other classes brought her a cookie during my class, I'm guessing from culinary arts or something...and she showed off her cookie to us hahaha and said something to the effect of "I have a cookie and you don't! but that's ok, because when you're old, you can have a cookie too." She's insane and I love it. So much fun. Oh one other sortof related thing: It rained while I was in physics today. Like, poured. I heard it start and tried to get Melissa's attention, but she was half gazing into space, half doodling lol...I'll stop to make the note here that marching band people love it when it rains because it means they get an indoor practice that day. Ms. Bailes even said something about the rain and Melissa didn't notice. Finally, I looked over at her, still drawing, and all of the sudden, she stopped and I could tell from across the room that she tensed. A grin spread over her face, she looked outside, turned to me and mouthed "ITS RAINING!" hahahahaha it was like watching really bad acting except she wasn't acting so it was absolutely hillarious.
Other stuff...hrm. First dance class of the year was last night...err...well it's going to be an interesting year. I miss our old teacher, even if three of the other girls in the class didn't like her. They made too big of a deal over little things, like when she had us change the position of our arms in one move or something. Anyway...she's gone now, so those three came to class after all, plus one new girl, Megan, and me. The teacher is knew and seems very nice...however...it's a hiphop class. Carrie tried to teach us some hip hop but basically-no racism intended at all whatsoever especially since this is an insult to whites and a compliment to blacks lol-she decided we were 'too white' to be able to look good doing the moves. We just don't do the whole stick your butt and boobs out thing often enough to be comfortable with it lol. Well anyway, our new teacher ONLY teaches hip hop, not a jazz-hip hop combo like Carrie sometimes did. So...we're having some trouble. Well, except for the new girl, who took a hip hop class last year and seems really good...which is intimidating because she's at least a few years younger than the rest of us-I think all the rest are juniors and she might even still be in middle school. Not complaining though; it's always great to have someone be good so we have an example to follow lol. Sarah's probably the next best. But the rest of us are struggling, and it was only the first class lol. She made us dance individually with hopes that we'd try to put more effort into the dance...which made me nervous but at least she danced with us or else I'm sure I would've had no idea what the moves were lol. Anyways, I'm going to try it for a while though...I really want my 10 year award, and I'll get it if I stay through the end of this year. I won't dance next year because of marching band.
I finally know what's wrong with my knee! Honestly, some people don't give chiropractors nearly enough credit for all the knowledge they have. I went today after physical therapy because my back's been bothering me a lot lately, and I asked him about my knee while I was there....and he poked around a bit and moved my leg and then proded a few points and asked if they hurt...and they did. A LOT lol. I hadn't even noticed they were sore, because they were mostly on my leg, not the knee. He held my kneecap in an odd position and had me try to contract my muscle and some other things...and then knew what it was. It's kinda hard to explain, but basically a repetitive bending motion (ex: the way my knee bent going up and down stairs, which is what I was doing at the beach right before it started hurting and swelling so that's most likely it) caused what he called "the elastic band" that holds onto the kneecap to pull the kneecap off from it's usual position...so the "elastic band" thingie that runs up my leg is what's really sore, and where it connects to my kneecap is causing the area beneath my kneecap to swell, which makes it pop all the time and hurt and shake. So basically, every time I walked around or danced or did physical therapy stuff, it would cause it to swell. So he popped the kneecap back into position and told me to keep pressing the elastic band thingie because that'll help it heal even though it hurts, and to keep icing it often because it's going to swell for a while. If it's not better by next week, I get to go back and have him see if it slipped out of position again. I'm just happy I know what's wrong lol even if it does seem like it hurts worse now because it's so swollen from him changing the position.
I've been daydreaming so much lately its insane! Fun though hehe... ;-)
I think that's about it...gnight! Look I posted at 9:42!