<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 22, 2004

Lalala procrastination even though I don't have time to procrastinate...I'm being a bad girl and blogging anyway because I'm still behind.

Saturday was our competition at Appalachian State University. It was like a 3 1/2 hour drive each way, so we got charter buses! yay! Except the seats were TINY lol; Corey couldn't fit unless he sat sideways with his legs in the isle. But it wasn't as bouncy as the regular buses so that was nice. Melissa and I tried a Mountain Dew (with the bubbles bown out of course) but it was sooo sweet (and I had a huge lunch lol) so we didn't drink much of it. The threat of being hyper was fun though-it scared Austin and Corey hehe. We played MASH again hahaha since it's becoming a bus tradition...much fun. We got to the campus...and it was really really really cold lol...Katie and I thought we were supposed to be inside with the rest of the marching band but soon found out extras were supposed to stay outside...so at least we got a few extra minutes in the warmth lol...The show was kinda hectic. A whole bunch of things went wrong-the fire extinguishers (which make the smoke for the "cannons" on the boat) didn't work because it was so cold that the compressed gasses inside compressed enough that they couldn't come out...Lindsay's picolo broke mid-show, and she has a solo, but luckily she and Melissa were able to switch pics before it. The cold air made it really hard for people to play their instruments, which also messed up the tuning. Between the cold and the wind, the color guard had some trouble, mostly with the toss in Ride...apparently a few of them dropped flags, but I didn't see any of them so maybe most of them were toward the back, which is obviously better than being in the front if something like that happens. The extra that has a speaking part turned the mic to the wrong station so no one could hear the announcement about the "lost band member" and he didn't try to change it or anything because he thought it was just broken since he turned it on, just to the wrong station. Oddly enough though, that seemed to be the first show where the audience and judges actually understood that part-the time when there wasn't an explanation! Go figure. By the time the show was over, I litterally couldn't feel my fingers...I think I'll bring gloves tomorrow, not that it'll be as cold as it was in the mountains, but I was so scared I was going to drop the camera lol so just in case. None of the cars that are usually there were around the bus to take equipment, so one of the band parents told me to put the camera under the bus...but I was worried that it would fall over and break...so Devin let me wrap his sax case's strap around it so it was secured to his case. Then we went up in the stands and watched a little bit...The Ap. State band played, which was cool because there were a few kids in it that went to Apex last year. Then came awards. A lot of people didn't expect anything because so many things had gone wrong. However...here's our list of awards:
-Superior Award (which means we got over a certain total score)
-Class 4A best visual effect
-Class 4A best general effect
-Class 4A best drum major
-Class 4A 3rd place overall (not all categories of scores count toward the overall per class winners)
-I forget the name of this one...but it essentially means we had the best drum major in the entire show, so she gets the honor of conducting the Ap. State band at some event. Go Megan!
So that was pretty cool hehe^^ Oh and we were greatly amused that one of the bands-I think the one that won grand champ actually-didn't stay. They were represented by a few band parents lol. It just looked really weird.
The ride home was sooooooo nice. We watched the tape of the competition-and the tv infront of us was brokenish so it kept changing colors...so Taylor decided that's why we won best visual effect "we can change colors!" hahaha...Then we watched "Mighty Joe Young," which I think I saw a really long time ago but barely remembered. Seems like a pretty good movie...my back was really bothering me though, so I ended up laying down on Coreys lap and kinda half slept for a while so I missed the ending hehe. After I was fully awake and sitting up again, Corey was tired, so I pulled him into a sortof laying down position against me...and we had the WEIRDEST conversation hahaha. I thought he was just kidding around for a lot of it, but he didn't remember it when I asked him about it later lol. For example...here's an exert:
Corey: You know what's neat?
Me: What?
Corey: Bleeding walls.
Me: Bleeding walls?
Corey: Yeah...you know...those things with water, and for Halloween you paint them red and it looks like it's bleeding.
Me: *thinking of ideas for decorations for trunk or treating* Do you have one?
Corey: Have one what?
Me: A bleeding wall.
Corey: Walls don't bleed.
Me: Well what if you took two walls and put them near eachother and filled the space between them with blood and then punched holes in the wall?
Corey: Then you'd have bigger problems than a bleeding wall.
And then we got into an Edgar Allen Poe discussion o_O hahaha.
When we got back to Apex, it was like 1:30 AM...so I forgot about getting the camera from under the bus since I'm used to a band parent taking it out of the car before we even get to school. So I spent part of the week worrying because I didn't see it in the office...but I asked Devin, and he said that by the time he got his sax out from under the bus, the camera was gone, meaning someone must have taken it out. I was so freaked out that it was lost...but I asked Mr. Rowe, who asked the kid whose dad is in charge of props, and it sounds like one of the parents gave it to him to keep with the boat. So -phew- lol.

Sunday, we didn't have youth, so I did some cleaning and such and then Corey got to come over for a little bit^^ which was wonderful as always :-D

Most of this week is kinda blury...I fell down on Monday at lunch on the sidewalk and scraped myself up...I was glad Rachel was the only one there because she was the only one that has lunch with me that wouldn't laugh haha, despite some of them trying to say that they wouldn't have. I looked like a total klutz and I can imagine it looked pretty funny. So I got a couple of bandaids from Mr. K since he was near by, but I had to get more in history...and the first aid kit is on the wall because it used to be a science room...and it's up high...and I could barely reach it haha especially since I was one handed...luckily Steven saw me and helped haha. We had a physics test yesterday...and I had rehersal and got to play with the fire extinguisher because starting at tomorrow's competition, I get to be a British soldier that fires back at the ship...I'm scared I'm going to hit the trumpets though lol (and Corey stops like almost right in front of where I'll be standing lol) so Mr. Rowe said I can move way away from the field...and hope for the best haha. I already appologized to them in advance in case I hit one or more of them. Today...sucked. I got my English paper back-my lowest grade so far in that class, not to mention it being the first grade of the semester. Apparently a tragic hero can only have ONE flaw and my thesis was that Proctor was a tragic hero because of his TWO flaws...I just thought it was anything to do with a generally good person with (a) flaw(s). Oh well...Then I found out that the Huck Finn paper was moved from Friday to the Monday after...so I was happy for a min even though I know that'll be a busy weekend (home football game, Cary Band Day-which is a parade and a competition, decorating Corey's trunk, and Trunk-or-Treat for youth) but still, an extra few days for editing is always nice. However...then he passed out a sheet with prompt options...and I discovered that we have not one paper to write, but TWO papers. Ugh. The second one shouldn't be quite as hard as a normal one, but still, it's more work and for me it's about the same amount of time. We also have an outline due Friday for our term paper, which I'm way behind on-at least compared to where I want to be, though many other people in the class seem to be even further behind. We were supposed to have a review day in history. When everyone did bad on Mr. Feldman's test last week, he asked us what he could to better so we could do better on tests. I asked if we could have a review day, since that's the one policy of Ms. Blanton that I actually think is great. We hadn't had one before Mr. Feldman's first test because he said "you can ask me questions but I'm not going to plan a review for you." So Mr. Feldman said sure, and he told our class yesterday that today would be set as a review day since our test is Monday. We walked in to class today...he asked if there were any questions...and went over like 1 thing for 30 seconds and then had us spend the rest of the period pointlessly making these poster things of "medicines" with weird ingredients. I mean, that was more fun than a review, but I'd much rather reveiw. It's not that I don't understand the material, so I can't ask questions on it-It's just that I'd like a refresher from things we learned a long time ago! Gaaaah so I was mad about that. We got 4 essay question prompts, one of which will be on the test but we don't know which until then. We can't bring in an essay or an outline, but he sugested that we write out each of the 4 essays at home this weekend. If he really thinks anyone has time to write 4 essays in addition to studying for that test...he's insane. Ugh. So then I went to physics...we got our tests back from yesterday. I thought the test was really easy and that I'd done really well. However-for the second time in one day-I got the lowest grade that I've ever had in that class. Then we spent forever going over this thing that I think I understand, but I don't understand the steps she went through to explain it. It just seemed pointless to me and got me confused until I just tried to do the problem with logic reasoning instead of using whatever she was using as proof. I could not WAIT to leave.

Things got better after school though...I went over to Anna's for some evil plan work hehe...much fun...and I had dinner with her family...so while we were waiting for that, she and I went over to Corey's to get the DVD we'd watched on Thursday that he still had...Corey wasn't home, but his mom was, so we talked for a few minutes and then left...and just after we'd turned around, Corey came down the street! Anna called it before it happened hahaha. So we shouted at him and he came over to the car...so we got out and gave him hugs hehe...and then Anna climbed through her car window o_O and Corey freaked her out by acting like he was going to open the door...Then we decided we needed to go, but Corey stood in front of the car! I threatened him with the idea of shooting the fire extinguisher at him at the competition tomorrow lol but it didn't really work. He moved eventually though...and ran next to us down the street for a while haha so we were shouting through the window, much fun.

And now I that I'm FINALLY caught up...I should go do homework >< Yuck.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?