Wednesday, July 27, 2005
And now continuing :-)
So we got home from ASP, rushed to get packed, and left for the beach. It was Corey, Hannah, their mom, Elizabeth (Hannah’s friend and Jonathan’s sister for those that don’t know her), and me. I honestly have a very blurred memory of the week. I have no idea what we did on each day. It went by so fast! But I enjoyed it a LOT lol. We did some shopping, built a few sand cities and watched one get washed away, swam, cooked (man we flew through every dessert we made haha-a batch of cookies could be eaten within an hour. Making up for that ASP food I guess!), went to a cool museam with local marine and other wildlife information and such, visited the UNCW campus, went to see War of the Worlds, and lots of other things. Friday night we went to the pavilion at Myrtle Beach. We went on some rides, including one that made me kinda sick but that’s ok lol. Corey and I squished into a seat of one of those little kid roller coasters, which was fun haha. There was the cutest little boy on that ride that did NOT want to get off. His mom kept trying to push the bar up so he could get out and he’d scream “NOOOOO!” hahaha it was adorable. They wouldn’t let us on the kiddie ferris wheel though :-( oh well. While all this was happening, Ms. C and her neice were at the airport trying to pick up a friend whose flight kept getting more and more delayed. Eventually they came to pick us up since it was getting late, and we all went back to the airport. Then we realized it was the night Harry Potter was coming out, and it was 11:30! So we went to Books a Million (which we at first thought was some kind of Emeril place, since the sign just said BAM haha), bought vouchers, got in line, and by like 12:05 we had our books. They had a really good, fast system set up lol. The next morning, Saturday, we went home. I feel like I’m leaving a ton of stuff out, because we did keep busy, but I guess that’s about it lol. It was awesome.
Sunday started AOSP. We went to the commissioning service in the morning at 9:45. I’d never been to a 9:45 service before. I liked it a lot. It’s the ‘contemporary’ one, where they have a band playing and such. I just wish it was later lol because I don’t want to have to wake up that early to go to that one. Anyway, we were comissioned, then we went home, packed, and went back at 4:00. The high school girls got to stay in the parsonage (sp?), the house really near the church meant for a pastor to stay in, since it’s about to be converted into offices so no one lives there now. It was a lot of fun. We claimed the biggest room we could find, mostly because it was still empty because people didn’t realize we could use the living room as sleep space. In our room were Melissa, Katie, Hannah, Catherine, Anna, Elizabeth, Sara, Kim, and me. After a few nights though, Paige came to stay with us too, even though she’s in 8th grade, because we all love her.
We ate dinner with our workteams to get to know them the first night. The only people I knew out of the 9 others were Kim, Jed (a leader), and Barrett (also a leader but he used to be in the youth group). I also vaguely knew Jeremy since we went to elementary school together, and he was friends with Rachel and Courtney in middle school. We went around and said what grade we’re in and what school we went to and all that but didn’t really get to know eachother until we started working. I got to go visit the lady the first night, which made me happy.
Our project was a lot of little things. There were 3 windows that needed their trim painted, a leaking faucet that needed to be replaced (and turned into the whole sink having to be replaced), a rotten spot in the floor caused by the leaking faucet that we had to remove and replace, an unstable spot in the hall where the support had fallen down or something, the bathtub was sinking through the floor because some of the boards under it broke, a pile of old tires and shingles and such that needed to be removed, three doors had holes in them and we had to patch them and repaint them because we couldn’t buy new ones because they were odd sizes, wow this is a run on sentence to the max but oh well, a few pieces of furniture that needed fixing, and we found another rotten spot in the floor that we had to replace. Whew. I was worried about getting it done in a week, but we managed. I was happy because I did some painting and some sawing (even though I did get very agrivated with the guide on it because it didn’t match where the blade cut, so eventually I just watched the blade lol), which are my two favorite jobs.
As far as the people in my group....eh. I guess I got spoiled on ASP this year. Don’t get me wrong, there were definitly people on my team I got along with-mostly the leaders, Kim, and Jeremy. Working with middle schoolers and rising freshmen was harder than I expected it to be, though I think it was mostly because of the specific people. There was one girl on my team who spent a lot of time complaining about EVERYTHING. She brought a nice bag with her to the work site, flipped out if she thought it was going to get dirty, and bragged about buying it in Belgium for $50. *falls over* YOU DON’T BRING THOSE KINDS OF THINGS ON A SERVICE PROJECT! I mean, common sense. At least after the first day. She was the only one of us who could fit under the house where the bathtub was sinking, though Kim probably could’ve, but Kim was busy and this other girl had just lied to Jed and me so I guess he decided her punishment was to go under the house because he knew she hated it. I was greatly amused. It took her like 30 min just to get in because she complained so much. I mean, I know it’s not nice under a house. It’s dirty and there are bugs. But you know what? I’m terrified of spiders, and I helped install insulation under a house last year. It’s not THAT bad. So anyway, she was obviously the person I got most frustrated with. There was one other kid who will be a freshman this year that kept arguing with me over stupid things...like when I asked him to stop throwing a water bottle (a full one) because I didn’t want to get hit by it, not to mention we were near the power tools so I really didn’t want something happening while someone was using the saw or something. He yelled all this stuff about how I should stop bossing people around. Grr. However, later we were all talking and he found out I’m going to be a senior...and he flipped out. Seriously. I’ve never seen anyone look that shocked about my age. He thought I was going to be a freshman! Do I really look like a freshman?! I’m not that short! Anyway, he was a little bit nicer after that.
It’s late so I’m just going to skip ahead to the last night...
Slide show night. I always love and hate seeing the end of year slide show at youth, because it’s great to see those memories, but it makes me sad to know it’ll be a long time before I get to experiance them again. I figured the AOSP slide show would be the same, and I was mostly right. What I didn’t count on was my sudden realization in the middle of the slide show. I’ve been thinking about taking a summer class or two at Wake Tech next summer, which would most likely mean I wouldn’t be able to do ASP or AOSP. I figured I’d miss it, but I can do Habbitat for Humanity or even be an ASP or AOSP leader while I’m in college another year. But all of the sudden, during the slide show, it hit me really hard that that day could’ve been my last year working as a kid with my church on any service project. I was nearly crying...but it wasn’t really from sadness...I just kind of got really determined all of the sudden. I’m not giving up another year’s worth of memories with my church. I’m going to do ASP and AOSP next summer. Biology can wait a year, and if I decide to be a leader after that, I’ll deal with Biology during the year afterall. It’s worth it.
Saturday, after we got back from AOSP, Corey, Hannah, Paige and I went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was...different. Definitly not what I expected. I heard it was going to be really similar to the book, but it wasn’t at all. Oh well. Then we went out for lunch and then home to take naps. Corey and I planned to hang out that night after we woke up. However...I tried to read Harry Potter for a while to put me to sleep, and of course kept myself from falling asleep by reading it lol. So I didn’t fall asleep until about 5, and then woke up at 9, and I hadn’t had a shower or eaten dinner or anything, so it was too late to hang out with him, especially since we went to church the next morning. It felt really weird to go to church not dressed up, but we were asked to wear our AOSP shirts. Pastor David was talking to us as we walked out the door after the service, and he commented that my shirt was signed, and said that made it even more special. Then he gave me a hug, which made me smile. He’s really nice. As much as we all loved Rev. Bergland, I’m kind of glad that we got a new minister. I almost feel like I’m starting over...on the right foot this time because he actually knows who I am and that I like to be active in the church. Corey’s mom talked to me about joining the church...I hadn’t before because I thought you had to go through confirmation, and I don’t have time for that, especially since I want to be in the church play this year and it’s at the same time, but she said I don’t. So I’m thinking about it, and she said she would help me set up a meeting with Pastor David or someone if I want.
Oh and way off topic but I heard from Dave a few weeks ago...anyone who needs contact info let me know please. He’ll be home the...11th? I think? of August. He says no care packages but would love some letters and pictures. I wrote him from AOSP and made everyone in the room say something in the letter, even those who don’t know him. I hope it makes him smile...especially Paige’s comment, which I wrote out exactly as she said lol: “Tell him I don’t know who he is but that he’s hot. Only spell it H-A-W-W-T-T-X. The X is for sex.” *giggles* Paige is awesome.
Corey is at his dad’s for the week :-( which makes me sad. But in the meantime, I’m doing a little evil plan work to keep me busy...tehehe... O:-) Sorry, Corey, but you know I’ve got to keep driving you crazy; it’s my job! Just watch out for those tricky strawberries...you never know when they’ll attempt to impersonate a cantalope.
So we got home from ASP, rushed to get packed, and left for the beach. It was Corey, Hannah, their mom, Elizabeth (Hannah’s friend and Jonathan’s sister for those that don’t know her), and me. I honestly have a very blurred memory of the week. I have no idea what we did on each day. It went by so fast! But I enjoyed it a LOT lol. We did some shopping, built a few sand cities and watched one get washed away, swam, cooked (man we flew through every dessert we made haha-a batch of cookies could be eaten within an hour. Making up for that ASP food I guess!), went to a cool museam with local marine and other wildlife information and such, visited the UNCW campus, went to see War of the Worlds, and lots of other things. Friday night we went to the pavilion at Myrtle Beach. We went on some rides, including one that made me kinda sick but that’s ok lol. Corey and I squished into a seat of one of those little kid roller coasters, which was fun haha. There was the cutest little boy on that ride that did NOT want to get off. His mom kept trying to push the bar up so he could get out and he’d scream “NOOOOO!” hahaha it was adorable. They wouldn’t let us on the kiddie ferris wheel though :-( oh well. While all this was happening, Ms. C and her neice were at the airport trying to pick up a friend whose flight kept getting more and more delayed. Eventually they came to pick us up since it was getting late, and we all went back to the airport. Then we realized it was the night Harry Potter was coming out, and it was 11:30! So we went to Books a Million (which we at first thought was some kind of Emeril place, since the sign just said BAM haha), bought vouchers, got in line, and by like 12:05 we had our books. They had a really good, fast system set up lol. The next morning, Saturday, we went home. I feel like I’m leaving a ton of stuff out, because we did keep busy, but I guess that’s about it lol. It was awesome.
Sunday started AOSP. We went to the commissioning service in the morning at 9:45. I’d never been to a 9:45 service before. I liked it a lot. It’s the ‘contemporary’ one, where they have a band playing and such. I just wish it was later lol because I don’t want to have to wake up that early to go to that one. Anyway, we were comissioned, then we went home, packed, and went back at 4:00. The high school girls got to stay in the parsonage (sp?), the house really near the church meant for a pastor to stay in, since it’s about to be converted into offices so no one lives there now. It was a lot of fun. We claimed the biggest room we could find, mostly because it was still empty because people didn’t realize we could use the living room as sleep space. In our room were Melissa, Katie, Hannah, Catherine, Anna, Elizabeth, Sara, Kim, and me. After a few nights though, Paige came to stay with us too, even though she’s in 8th grade, because we all love her.
We ate dinner with our workteams to get to know them the first night. The only people I knew out of the 9 others were Kim, Jed (a leader), and Barrett (also a leader but he used to be in the youth group). I also vaguely knew Jeremy since we went to elementary school together, and he was friends with Rachel and Courtney in middle school. We went around and said what grade we’re in and what school we went to and all that but didn’t really get to know eachother until we started working. I got to go visit the lady the first night, which made me happy.
Our project was a lot of little things. There were 3 windows that needed their trim painted, a leaking faucet that needed to be replaced (and turned into the whole sink having to be replaced), a rotten spot in the floor caused by the leaking faucet that we had to remove and replace, an unstable spot in the hall where the support had fallen down or something, the bathtub was sinking through the floor because some of the boards under it broke, a pile of old tires and shingles and such that needed to be removed, three doors had holes in them and we had to patch them and repaint them because we couldn’t buy new ones because they were odd sizes, wow this is a run on sentence to the max but oh well, a few pieces of furniture that needed fixing, and we found another rotten spot in the floor that we had to replace. Whew. I was worried about getting it done in a week, but we managed. I was happy because I did some painting and some sawing (even though I did get very agrivated with the guide on it because it didn’t match where the blade cut, so eventually I just watched the blade lol), which are my two favorite jobs.
As far as the people in my group....eh. I guess I got spoiled on ASP this year. Don’t get me wrong, there were definitly people on my team I got along with-mostly the leaders, Kim, and Jeremy. Working with middle schoolers and rising freshmen was harder than I expected it to be, though I think it was mostly because of the specific people. There was one girl on my team who spent a lot of time complaining about EVERYTHING. She brought a nice bag with her to the work site, flipped out if she thought it was going to get dirty, and bragged about buying it in Belgium for $50. *falls over* YOU DON’T BRING THOSE KINDS OF THINGS ON A SERVICE PROJECT! I mean, common sense. At least after the first day. She was the only one of us who could fit under the house where the bathtub was sinking, though Kim probably could’ve, but Kim was busy and this other girl had just lied to Jed and me so I guess he decided her punishment was to go under the house because he knew she hated it. I was greatly amused. It took her like 30 min just to get in because she complained so much. I mean, I know it’s not nice under a house. It’s dirty and there are bugs. But you know what? I’m terrified of spiders, and I helped install insulation under a house last year. It’s not THAT bad. So anyway, she was obviously the person I got most frustrated with. There was one other kid who will be a freshman this year that kept arguing with me over stupid things...like when I asked him to stop throwing a water bottle (a full one) because I didn’t want to get hit by it, not to mention we were near the power tools so I really didn’t want something happening while someone was using the saw or something. He yelled all this stuff about how I should stop bossing people around. Grr. However, later we were all talking and he found out I’m going to be a senior...and he flipped out. Seriously. I’ve never seen anyone look that shocked about my age. He thought I was going to be a freshman! Do I really look like a freshman?! I’m not that short! Anyway, he was a little bit nicer after that.
It’s late so I’m just going to skip ahead to the last night...
Slide show night. I always love and hate seeing the end of year slide show at youth, because it’s great to see those memories, but it makes me sad to know it’ll be a long time before I get to experiance them again. I figured the AOSP slide show would be the same, and I was mostly right. What I didn’t count on was my sudden realization in the middle of the slide show. I’ve been thinking about taking a summer class or two at Wake Tech next summer, which would most likely mean I wouldn’t be able to do ASP or AOSP. I figured I’d miss it, but I can do Habbitat for Humanity or even be an ASP or AOSP leader while I’m in college another year. But all of the sudden, during the slide show, it hit me really hard that that day could’ve been my last year working as a kid with my church on any service project. I was nearly crying...but it wasn’t really from sadness...I just kind of got really determined all of the sudden. I’m not giving up another year’s worth of memories with my church. I’m going to do ASP and AOSP next summer. Biology can wait a year, and if I decide to be a leader after that, I’ll deal with Biology during the year afterall. It’s worth it.
Saturday, after we got back from AOSP, Corey, Hannah, Paige and I went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was...different. Definitly not what I expected. I heard it was going to be really similar to the book, but it wasn’t at all. Oh well. Then we went out for lunch and then home to take naps. Corey and I planned to hang out that night after we woke up. However...I tried to read Harry Potter for a while to put me to sleep, and of course kept myself from falling asleep by reading it lol. So I didn’t fall asleep until about 5, and then woke up at 9, and I hadn’t had a shower or eaten dinner or anything, so it was too late to hang out with him, especially since we went to church the next morning. It felt really weird to go to church not dressed up, but we were asked to wear our AOSP shirts. Pastor David was talking to us as we walked out the door after the service, and he commented that my shirt was signed, and said that made it even more special. Then he gave me a hug, which made me smile. He’s really nice. As much as we all loved Rev. Bergland, I’m kind of glad that we got a new minister. I almost feel like I’m starting over...on the right foot this time because he actually knows who I am and that I like to be active in the church. Corey’s mom talked to me about joining the church...I hadn’t before because I thought you had to go through confirmation, and I don’t have time for that, especially since I want to be in the church play this year and it’s at the same time, but she said I don’t. So I’m thinking about it, and she said she would help me set up a meeting with Pastor David or someone if I want.
Oh and way off topic but I heard from Dave a few weeks ago...anyone who needs contact info let me know please. He’ll be home the...11th? I think? of August. He says no care packages but would love some letters and pictures. I wrote him from AOSP and made everyone in the room say something in the letter, even those who don’t know him. I hope it makes him smile...especially Paige’s comment, which I wrote out exactly as she said lol: “Tell him I don’t know who he is but that he’s hot. Only spell it H-A-W-W-T-T-X. The X is for sex.” *giggles* Paige is awesome.
Corey is at his dad’s for the week :-( which makes me sad. But in the meantime, I’m doing a little evil plan work to keep me busy...tehehe... O:-) Sorry, Corey, but you know I’ve got to keep driving you crazy; it’s my job! Just watch out for those tricky strawberries...you never know when they’ll attempt to impersonate a cantalope.