Friday, January 13, 2006
I feel like a ton of things have happened since my last update but I can hardly think of any so hopefully they'll come to me as I write.
I decided to get my permit, despite my accident fear. I went driving last weekend, just around an empty parking lot with my dad, and it went pretty well. I didn't hit anything haha. I found out that since I'm 18, I can't take the driving part of drivers ed until I get my permit...which sounds kind of odd...but it has something to do with legal stuff since I'm not a minor anymore. Oh well. I need to study, get my permit, and then I'll do the driving part because I still want to do it to be a better driver and get a break on my insurance.
Our new youth minister, Lee, started last Sunday. I really really like him so far. I've actually been considering going into youth ministry...which is pretty much as far away from being a math teacher as you can get...and I was thinking about it right when he spoke to us about some of us who have never expected to enter the ministry being called to do so. Ever since then, I have not been able to get the idea out of my head. I love being in my youth group and I'd like to help others experiance what I have. I love doing service projects. I'm a good organizer and planner. I have a strong interest in psychology, which is important to anyone involved in any type job that helps others with problems. I like to help others and I've seen what a huge impact church can have on people's lives because it's changed mine so much. I love learning about my religion, but that's the part that worries me. I still have so much to learn. I rarely get the opportunity to go to church anymore. I went with Corey's family for a while and loved it, but I haven't been with them since he and I broke up. I don't want to go by myself and the only other people I know that go to and enjoy church and that I would be comfortable asking if I could go with go to really really early services and I don't want to get up that early and my parents probably wouldn't let me because they'd be afraid I'd get sick from not getting enough sleep. I've never even read the Bible all of the way through, though I'm in the process of it now. I don't know all the stories or even all of the people. So I'm worried that it's too much for me to take on, especially since I was raised without much religious influence. And yet...the reason I chose to teach geometry was only because I'm good at it and I understand it well, which makes me wonder if I was just settling for something because I couldn't find a better alternative. So right now I'm not exactly sure what my plans are, but it's making Wesleyan look even better. I haven't even told my parents that I'm considering going into youth ministry yet because I'm not sure if I'll like they're reactions. Both of my parents were raised very religiously so that neither of them likes to be involved in church anymore. They don't mind that I go to youth, but I don't think youth ministry would be exactly the career they'd want for me, though maybe I'm just being paranoid. I have a feeling they'd tell me that they support me but that they would hint that being a teacher is a better idea, especially by going on about me being a good teacher. Bleh confusion. I think I'm going to meet with Lee sometime to discuss all that and get an oppinion from someone who really knows about the job, though I'd appreciate any comments from you guys too.
School stuff...
English: I ended up with a B that's too low to bring up with the exam, and I'm exempt. I don't like having a B but honestly I'm just thankful to be out of there. That has been a frustrating class to me because the teacher kept contradicting herself all the time and it drove me insane. I'll miss some of the kids in the class though-I liked having so many friends/nice people sit near me.
Creative writing: I got kicked out of class yesterday for the first time in my life. That makes it sound more dramatic than it was, but it still rather shocked me. I'm the good kid lol; I don't get in trouble and for the most part teachers like me. Well Ms. Bate doesn't. Elizabeth and I were talking for like 30 seconds during a movie the other day and she got completely unreasonably fed up with us and said really shortly "Do you just want to leave?" And we were like "uhh...sure?" and so she wrote us a note and told us to leave. We were supposed to go to the library but we decided to go to the band room and hang out with Melissa instead. Fine by us. Neither of us can stand her. Then today, the last day for seniors, she went around the room to talk to each senior. She told each person goodbye and what she liked about having them in her class and things like that, almost like a verbal version of a yearbook signing or something. Guess who she didn't talk to? Not that I mind or anything, but it really amused me that I was the only senior that was left out, and it's just because she doesn't like me. And why doesn't she like me? Because I don't like to spend day after day talking about guys jacking off and I don't like that she constantly tells us how much she hates our class. It's rediculous. I'm glad to be done with that class, though I feel bad leaving Elizabeth alone in there for the review and exam. I'm glad that I can look back on the class and laugh at how stupid it was instead of feeling completely angry though.
Physics: I still don't know if I'll have to take the exam, but I doubt it. I needed at least a 91 on the test we took today to keep an A, and if I don't have an A I'll take the exam to bring it up. A 91 is like a 65% or so in AP terms though, and I think I did pretty well, and I did the extra credit thing that went along with it, so that should be ok. I'm really going to miss that class. It was hard but it was really fun at the same time. Ms. Beiles is awesome. The people in there kept me constantly entertained, whether it was Zach and Lynch arguing over random things beyond my comprehension, moments of stupidity that occured frequently and made us all laugh, relating physics to dating, Ms. Beiles answering her phone in other languages and confusing the office people, or even just making Brandon's curls go "boiiiiing" haha.
Band: It's been fun, but I miss playing first part, especially the solos. I enjoy the class despite some of the more annoying people. I'm glad that it's not over yet and I plan on continuing to play in the concert band at college. I think this year is the year I've most enjoyed the actual music...not like prefering this years songs or anything, but I guess, in Mr. Rowe's words, I have more passion. The social part of band has been the main part of the class to me in past years, but I guess having less people to talk with most of the time this year let me focus more on the music and learn to appreciate it more.
Stuff to look forward to next semester:
German: omg I don't remember ANYTHING lol. I need to do some major studying. I'll know a lot of people in the class though, lots of band people, including Hannah P, which is awesome.
AP Stat: I've heard it's pretty easy and that the teacher is good. I have an assignment due the first day, which sucks, but I don't know anything about it yet because I didn't realize that the teacher leaves after second period, so I tried to get it after school today. I'll go Tuesday morning. So basically I'm not really excited about it but it doesn't sound too bad.
Tech Theatre: Yay! Power tools! Haha. I really want to do the set building part. I've never built a set before but after building a porch and doing a bunch of random other projects like that I figure I have a general idea of the basic construction that we'd need to do. I like painting too and I did set painting when I was a freshman. Davey and Jill are in that class too, so that should be fun, though I wish we had Ana too but she had to drop that class.
Band: See above lol.
Oh and I'll have lunch with more people.
Ok this is long and I'm hungry so...bye!
I decided to get my permit, despite my accident fear. I went driving last weekend, just around an empty parking lot with my dad, and it went pretty well. I didn't hit anything haha. I found out that since I'm 18, I can't take the driving part of drivers ed until I get my permit...which sounds kind of odd...but it has something to do with legal stuff since I'm not a minor anymore. Oh well. I need to study, get my permit, and then I'll do the driving part because I still want to do it to be a better driver and get a break on my insurance.
Our new youth minister, Lee, started last Sunday. I really really like him so far. I've actually been considering going into youth ministry...which is pretty much as far away from being a math teacher as you can get...and I was thinking about it right when he spoke to us about some of us who have never expected to enter the ministry being called to do so. Ever since then, I have not been able to get the idea out of my head. I love being in my youth group and I'd like to help others experiance what I have. I love doing service projects. I'm a good organizer and planner. I have a strong interest in psychology, which is important to anyone involved in any type job that helps others with problems. I like to help others and I've seen what a huge impact church can have on people's lives because it's changed mine so much. I love learning about my religion, but that's the part that worries me. I still have so much to learn. I rarely get the opportunity to go to church anymore. I went with Corey's family for a while and loved it, but I haven't been with them since he and I broke up. I don't want to go by myself and the only other people I know that go to and enjoy church and that I would be comfortable asking if I could go with go to really really early services and I don't want to get up that early and my parents probably wouldn't let me because they'd be afraid I'd get sick from not getting enough sleep. I've never even read the Bible all of the way through, though I'm in the process of it now. I don't know all the stories or even all of the people. So I'm worried that it's too much for me to take on, especially since I was raised without much religious influence. And yet...the reason I chose to teach geometry was only because I'm good at it and I understand it well, which makes me wonder if I was just settling for something because I couldn't find a better alternative. So right now I'm not exactly sure what my plans are, but it's making Wesleyan look even better. I haven't even told my parents that I'm considering going into youth ministry yet because I'm not sure if I'll like they're reactions. Both of my parents were raised very religiously so that neither of them likes to be involved in church anymore. They don't mind that I go to youth, but I don't think youth ministry would be exactly the career they'd want for me, though maybe I'm just being paranoid. I have a feeling they'd tell me that they support me but that they would hint that being a teacher is a better idea, especially by going on about me being a good teacher. Bleh confusion. I think I'm going to meet with Lee sometime to discuss all that and get an oppinion from someone who really knows about the job, though I'd appreciate any comments from you guys too.
School stuff...
English: I ended up with a B that's too low to bring up with the exam, and I'm exempt. I don't like having a B but honestly I'm just thankful to be out of there. That has been a frustrating class to me because the teacher kept contradicting herself all the time and it drove me insane. I'll miss some of the kids in the class though-I liked having so many friends/nice people sit near me.
Creative writing: I got kicked out of class yesterday for the first time in my life. That makes it sound more dramatic than it was, but it still rather shocked me. I'm the good kid lol; I don't get in trouble and for the most part teachers like me. Well Ms. Bate doesn't. Elizabeth and I were talking for like 30 seconds during a movie the other day and she got completely unreasonably fed up with us and said really shortly "Do you just want to leave?" And we were like "uhh...sure?" and so she wrote us a note and told us to leave. We were supposed to go to the library but we decided to go to the band room and hang out with Melissa instead. Fine by us. Neither of us can stand her. Then today, the last day for seniors, she went around the room to talk to each senior. She told each person goodbye and what she liked about having them in her class and things like that, almost like a verbal version of a yearbook signing or something. Guess who she didn't talk to? Not that I mind or anything, but it really amused me that I was the only senior that was left out, and it's just because she doesn't like me. And why doesn't she like me? Because I don't like to spend day after day talking about guys jacking off and I don't like that she constantly tells us how much she hates our class. It's rediculous. I'm glad to be done with that class, though I feel bad leaving Elizabeth alone in there for the review and exam. I'm glad that I can look back on the class and laugh at how stupid it was instead of feeling completely angry though.
Physics: I still don't know if I'll have to take the exam, but I doubt it. I needed at least a 91 on the test we took today to keep an A, and if I don't have an A I'll take the exam to bring it up. A 91 is like a 65% or so in AP terms though, and I think I did pretty well, and I did the extra credit thing that went along with it, so that should be ok. I'm really going to miss that class. It was hard but it was really fun at the same time. Ms. Beiles is awesome. The people in there kept me constantly entertained, whether it was Zach and Lynch arguing over random things beyond my comprehension, moments of stupidity that occured frequently and made us all laugh, relating physics to dating, Ms. Beiles answering her phone in other languages and confusing the office people, or even just making Brandon's curls go "boiiiiing" haha.
Band: It's been fun, but I miss playing first part, especially the solos. I enjoy the class despite some of the more annoying people. I'm glad that it's not over yet and I plan on continuing to play in the concert band at college. I think this year is the year I've most enjoyed the actual music...not like prefering this years songs or anything, but I guess, in Mr. Rowe's words, I have more passion. The social part of band has been the main part of the class to me in past years, but I guess having less people to talk with most of the time this year let me focus more on the music and learn to appreciate it more.
Stuff to look forward to next semester:
German: omg I don't remember ANYTHING lol. I need to do some major studying. I'll know a lot of people in the class though, lots of band people, including Hannah P, which is awesome.
AP Stat: I've heard it's pretty easy and that the teacher is good. I have an assignment due the first day, which sucks, but I don't know anything about it yet because I didn't realize that the teacher leaves after second period, so I tried to get it after school today. I'll go Tuesday morning. So basically I'm not really excited about it but it doesn't sound too bad.
Tech Theatre: Yay! Power tools! Haha. I really want to do the set building part. I've never built a set before but after building a porch and doing a bunch of random other projects like that I figure I have a general idea of the basic construction that we'd need to do. I like painting too and I did set painting when I was a freshman. Davey and Jill are in that class too, so that should be fun, though I wish we had Ana too but she had to drop that class.
Band: See above lol.
Oh and I'll have lunch with more people.
Ok this is long and I'm hungry so...bye!